[Cucumber] Cucumber for Windows desktop application
p***@gmail.com
2018-07-27 09:14:10 UTC
I have to test a Windows desktop application. I found seleniumcucumber.info
as a possible source of tutorial in this topic, but it seems a bit outdated
and uncomplete. Is Cucumber right tool to test a Java based Windows
application? I am new in this area of testing.
---
George Dinwiddie
2018-07-27 18:55:46 UTC
Hi, Plaid Shirt,
Post by p***@gmail.com
I have to test a Windows desktop application. I found
seleniumcucumber.info as a possible source of tutorial in this topic,
but it seems a bit outdated and uncomplete. Is Cucumber right tool to
test a Java based Windows application? I am new in this area of testing.
Cucumber will work just fine, but has no library built-in to connect
with any application. You must provide that.

I'm not sure of the state of the art with regard to GUI automation
libraries on Windows, but I recommend you do most of your testing at the
Java API level that your GUI uses to communicate with your application.
This will let you test your functionality more quickly and easily, and
with less worry about tests being broken by trivial look-and-feel
changes. Then you need only check that the GUI is properly connected to
the API. In https://github.com/gdinwiddie/EquineHoroscope (which has a
web front end), I use the same scenario to test via the GUI and the API,
injecting a different adapter for connecting with the system.

- George
Eric Kessler
2018-08-04 21:34:13 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
I have to test a Windows desktop application. I found
seleniumcucumber.info as a possible source of tutorial in this topic, but
it seems a bit outdated and uncomplete. Is Cucumber right tool to test a
Java based Windows application? I am new in this area of testing.
This Ruby gem can automate Window applications. Try to test as much as
possible via the backend/API in whatever language the application is
written in (i.e. Java) but, for the 'black box' functional testing, you can
write tests in whatever language is convenient. So, if anyone in your group
knows Ruby, this tool might help.

Enjoy,
Eric
---
Eric Kessler
2018-08-04 21:35:47 UTC
Post by Eric Kessler
Post by p***@gmail.com
I have to test a Windows desktop application. I found
seleniumcucumber.info as a possible source of tutorial in this topic,
but it seems a bit outdated and uncomplete. Is Cucumber right tool to test
a Java based Windows application? I am new in this area of testing.
This Ruby gem can automate Window applications. Try to test as much as
possible via the backend/API in whatever language the application is
written in (i.e. Java) but, for the 'black box' functional testing, you can
write tests in whatever language is convenient. So, if anyone in your group
knows Ruby, this tool might help.
Whoops. I forgot to link the gem. Here it is.

https://github.com/northwoodspd/uia
Post by Eric Kessler
Enjoy,
Eric
---
Ákos Kovács
Eric Kessler
2018-08-07 23:02:40 UTC
Post by Ákos Kovács
I never used Ruby earlier. Isn't there any Java based solutions for this
purpose? If not, could you please show me a short example, how it can be
used?
It looks like there is a similar Java based tool, yes.

https://github.com/mmarquee/ui-automation