[Cucumber] How to reuse the same steps from different definitions classes?
oleg manzhos
2018-05-28 20:26:13 UTC
Hi, guys.

I've got the following question.
I have some step, @When("menu is opened"). Menu button is in the header of
the page and thus is displayed on all pages in application flow. And I need
to call it several times during test from different pages. So, I need to
re-use the same step "menu is opened" in several different classes.

How can I do that? It is not allowed to create Common definition classes
and extend others definition classes from them. It is not allowed to have
duplicated steps across different definition classes. And I don't want to
rename steps according to classes that are calling thise steps like (menu
is opened from Product selection page", "menu is opened from product type
page". It is copiing of the same code.

Are there any elegant ways to do that?

Thanks!
Koen Prins
oleg manzhos
Anoop Halder
2018-05-29 11:09:38 UTC
Hi oleg manzhos ,
You cannot create the duplicate step-definition for the same step, but you
are open to use that step multiple times on your another scenarios of same
or any other feature file.
Just write the step-definition for your step( *@When("menu is opened")* )
once and use it multiple times.

Thanks..

Warm Regards,

*Anoop Halder*
Software Engineer
Mob : +91-8605841949
oleg manzhos
Anoop Halder
2018-05-30 09:26:14 UTC
Let me explain it-

================================
*FeatureFile1.feature- ( Page 1 )*

Scenario: Feature1 scenario1
@When("menu is opened") ----------It will refer
*StepDefFeature1.java- >menu_is_opened () *

* Scenario: Feature1 scenario2*

* @When("menu is opened") ---------- Allowed to reuse, It will
refer StepDefFeature1.java- >menu_is_opened () *
================================

*StepDefFeature1.java-*

@When("^menu is opened$")
public void menu_is_opened () {
System.out.println("Run - Step when Feature1 Scenario1 menu is opened ");

*FeatureFile2.feature- ( Page 2 )*

Scenario: Feature2 scenario1
@When("menu is opened") -------- Allowed to reuse, it will refer the
code *StepDefFeature1.java->
menu_is_opened ()*
================================

*StepDefFeature2.java-*

@When("^menu is opened$") ------------- *This is not allowed* because it
already has its method in " *StepDefFeature1.java**" *file
public void menu_is_opened_Page2 () {
System.out.println("Run - Step when Feature1 Scenario1 menu is opened ");
}

@When("^menu is opened$") ------------- *This is not allowed* because it
already has its method in " *StepDefFeature1.java**" *file
public void menu_is_opened () {
System.out.println("Run - Step when Feature1 Scenario1 menu is opened ");
}

================================

If the code you have written in *StepDefFeature1.java* file is usable for
another page(where you want to reuse) as you said, you just need to put it
in your scenario for that page feature file,
like I have done above-

* " FeatureFile1.feature- Scenario: Feature1 scenario2 "*

* " FeatureFile2.feature- Scenario: Feature1 scenario1 " *

I hope it will help..

Warm Regards,

*Anoop Halder*
Software Engineer
Mob : +91-8605841949
oleg manzhos
George Dinwiddie
2018-05-29 12:52:55 UTC
Oleg,
Post by oleg manzhos
Hi, guys.
I've got the following question.
of the page and thus is displayed on all pages in application flow. And
I need to call it several times during test from different pages. So, I
need to re-use the same step "menu is opened" in several different classes.
How can I do that? It is not allowed to create Common definition classes
and extend others definition classes from them. It is not allowed to
have duplicated steps across different definition classes. And I don't
want to rename steps according to classes that are calling thise steps
like (menu is opened from Product selection page", "menu is opened from
product type page". It is copiing of the same code.
Are there any elegant ways to do that?
Have you tried pushing an openMenu() method to a page object?

- George
2018-05-29 13:57:56 UTC
Sorry chaps, isn't the OP just asking for a ways to share step definitions
between features when Cuking with Java? I'm sure this is pretty
straightforward but as I only Cuke with Ruby I can't provide the technical
details. Could somebody do that and help out Oleg please, cheers
Post by George Dinwiddie
Oleg,
Thomas Sundberg
2018-05-29 19:01:40 UTC
Hi!
Post by Andrew Premdas
Sorry chaps, isn't the OP just asking for a ways to share step definitions
between features when Cuking with Java? I'm sure this is pretty
straightforward but as I only Cuke with Ruby I can't provide the technical
details. Could somebody do that and help out Oleg please, cheers
I think you are right Andrew.

Sharing state will probably solve the problems Oleg is facing with
ambiguous step definitions.

The solution in the Java world is to use dependency injection, DI.
Cucumber supports many different dependency injection frameworks. I
have blog posts about three of them.

If the project doesn't use any dependency framework, PicoContainer is
rather easy to get started with.
Read more here:
http://www.thinkcode.se/blog/2017/04/01/sharing-state-between-steps-in-cucumberjvm-using-picocontainer

If the project already uses Spring, I recommend using Spring for
sharing state between steps as well. A blog post with n example is
here: http://www.thinkcode.se/blog/2017/06/24/sharing-state-between-steps-in-cucumberjvm-using-spring

Finally, if the project uses Guice:
http://www.thinkcode.se/blog/2017/08/16/sharing-state-between-steps-in-cucumberjvm-using-guice

Oleg, I hope this will help you get on the right track.

/Thomas
Post by Andrew Premdas
Post by George Dinwiddie
Oleg,
Post by oleg manzhos
Hi, guys.
I've got the following question.
of the page and thus is displayed on all pages in application flow. And I
need to call it several times during test from different pages. So, I need
to re-use the same step "menu is opened" in several different classes.
How can I do that? It is not allowed to create Common definition classes
and extend others definition classes from them. It is not allowed to have
duplicated steps across different definition classes. And I don't want to
rename steps according to classes that are calling thise steps like (menu is
opened from Product selection page", "menu is opened from product type
page". It is copiing of the same code.
Are there any elegant ways to do that?
Have you tried pushing an openMenu() method to a page object?
- George
Thomas Sundberg
M. Sc. in Computer Science

Mobile: +46 70 767 33 15
Blog: http://www.thinkcode.se/blog
Twitter: @thomassundberg

Better software through faster feedback
Koen Prins
George Dinwiddie
2018-05-30 13:05:33 UTC
You can also share steps WITHOUT dependency injection. The step
definitions are all available to any feature file, unless you mess up
the classpath when executing cucumber-jvm. In
https://github.com/gdinwiddie/EquineHoroscope I use DI only for making
the same step definition work two different ways (either 1. directly
through an API or 2. through a browser driver and the GUI) depending on
the need.

There must be more to this problem than has been revealed, as sharing
steps is not usually a problem.

- George
Post by Andrew Premdas
[...]
Post by Andrew Premdas
On 29 May 2018 at 13:52, George Dinwiddie
Post by George Dinwiddie
Oleg,
Post by oleg manzhos
Hi, guys.