[Cucumber] [JVM] Eclipse Plugin for Cucumber JVM in early dev - please test
MrPotes
2012-08-20 21:54:39 UTC
Hi all,

If anyone is interested, I have started writing a Cucumber JVM plugin for
Eclipse.

It currently provides:
- Basic syntax highlighting for .feature files
- Step definition Auto-complete in .feature files
- Right-click Run-As for .feature files

The update site is: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/

Cheers,
James
--
-- Rules --

1) Please prefix the subject with [Ruby], [JVM] or [JS].
2) Please use interleaved answers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style
3) If you have a question, don't reply to an existing message. Start a new topic instead.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Cukes group. To post to this group, send email to cukes-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/***@public.gmane.org To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+***@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/cukes?hl=en
aslak hellesoy
2012-08-21 11:49:48 UTC
Post by MrPotes
Hi all,
If anyone is interested, I have started writing a Cucumber JVM plugin for
Eclipse.
Hi James,

That's awesome! It would be great if the github project had some
screenshots to demo what the plugin is capable of.

Cheers,
Aslak

Vladimir Sapozhnik
2012-08-21 15:19:19 UTC
Can you also translation of colors from ANSI colors to whatever Eclipse
console uses for colors?

Thank you,

Vladimir Sapozhnik

MrPotes
2012-08-21 21:06:13 UTC
Post by Vladimir Sapozhnik
Can you also translation of colors from ANSI colors to whatever Eclipse
console uses for colors?
I confess I don't really know what you mean by this - for the syntax
highlighting, I've just followed the Eclipse example.

Cheers,
James

Vladimir Sapozhnik
2012-08-21 21:13:22 UTC
I meant when running cuke to show colors (Green for successful run of a
step, Red for unsuccessful, Blue for skipped step, and Brown for undefined
step, and whatever other variations). If you run cuke in terminal it
outputs steps with ANSI escape sequences and Unix terminal substitutes ANSI
sequences with color, but if you run a feature within Eclipse, Eclipse
doesn't know how to translate ANSI sequences. There is an app for Windows
to do it (Ansicon another Wac) that might help you to see how to deal with
those ANSI escape sequences.

Vladimir

MrPotes
2012-08-21 21:29:33 UTC
Ah, I see. It would definitely be nice to link the editor to the run result
- I wondered about about line backgrounds being coloured for the result
(your colours sound as good as any), in much the same way as if you use
EclEmma for example (see http://www.eclemma.org/index.html).

I'll add this to the TODO list :-)

Cheers,
James

aslak hellesoy
2012-08-22 06:32:57 UTC
Post by Vladimir Sapozhnik
I meant when running cuke to show colors (Green for successful run of a
step, Red for unsuccessful, Blue for skipped step, and Brown for undefined
step, and whatever other variations). If you run cuke in terminal it
outputs steps with ANSI escape sequences and Unix terminal substitutes ANSI
sequences with color, but if you run a feature within Eclipse, Eclipse
doesn't know how to translate ANSI sequences. There is an app for Windows
to do it (Ansicon another Wac) that might help you to see how to deal with
those ANSI escape sequences.
Vladimir
Vladimir, James,

When Cucumber-JVM is run from an IDE such as Eclipse, the IDE plugin
would most likely instruct Cucumber-JVM to use an IDE-specific
formatter.
This would be a formatter that would communicate the results straight
back to the IDE, which in turn would display the results "natively".
The formatter API doesn't expose colours (colours are an
implementation detail of the pretty formatter, which would typically
not be used when run inside an IDE).

If Cucumber-JVM is run in a separate JVM from the IDE itself, the
IDE-specific formatter could "phone home" to the IDE over a TCP
socket.

Of course, it would be ideal if the user could *also* specify other
command line arguments, for example:

--strict --format pretty --format json:cucumber.json

The IDE would then just append its own formatter before running:

--strict --format pretty --format json:cucumber.json --format
potes.cucumberjvm.formatter.EclipseFormatter:98768

Cucumber-JVM would then report as usual (in addition to "phoning
home"), and in this case, pretty format going to STDOUT would indeed
have ANSI colours, and Eclipse would have to try to display those
correctly in its built-in console. I would expect however that
interpreting ANSI escapes in the Eclipse console should be done in
Eclipse "core" and not in the Cucumber-JVM plugin.

I hope this clarifies a little. James - in case you hadn't looked -
see https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/wiki/IDE-support for a
more comprehensive wish list.

Aslak

Robert
2012-08-21 15:56:57 UTC
Post by MrPotes
Hi all,
If anyone is interested, I have started writing a Cucumber JVM plugin for
Eclipse.
- Basic syntax highlighting for .feature files
- Step definition Auto-complete in .feature files
- Right-click Run-As for .feature files
The update site is: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/
Cheers,
James
Very cool!! Sorry for the silly question, but how would I install this ?

MrPotes
2012-08-21 21:04:56 UTC
Post by Robert
Very cool!! Sorry for the silly question, but how would I install this ?
Hi Robert,

In Eclipse 3.7+:
- Help -> Install new software...
- Paste the update site URL in
- For some reason, categorization isn't working right, so you may need to
deselect "Group items by category"

Cheers,
James

MrPotes
2012-08-21 21:23:08 UTC
Post by MrPotes
Hi all,
If anyone is interested, I have started writing a Cucumber JVM plugin for
Eclipse.
- Basic syntax highlighting for .feature files
- Step definition Auto-complete in .feature files
- Right-click Run-As for .feature files
I've found the the Right-click run-as isn't working in Eclipse 4.2. It
works (at least for me) in Eclipse 3.7, I will try to update when I know
what versions it works in.

Aslak, I'll try and post some screenshots soon. Currently the i18n doesn't
work (English only for now) - I'd like to get that to work, but haven't yet
if/how I can use the existing cucumber stuff for working out language, as I
start from the java step definitions rather than from a .feature file.
There are a couple of questions I could do with some help with:

- Are the language annotations generated?
- Can I cross languages, for example can I use step defined as
@cucumber.annotation.fr.Et("...") in an English .feature file following a
Given statement as an And step?
- (not quite related, but...) are there any licence restrictions on the
Cucumber images/icons, or can I use them, particularly the cukes.info
favicon?

Cheers,
James

aslak hellesoy
2012-08-22 06:43:26 UTC
Post by MrPotes
Hi all,
If anyone is interested, I have started writing a Cucumber JVM plugin for
Eclipse.
- Basic syntax highlighting for .feature files
- Step definition Auto-complete in .feature files
- Right-click Run-As for .feature files
I've found the the Right-click run-as isn't working in Eclipse 4.2. It works
(at least for me) in Eclipse 3.7, I will try to update when I know what
versions it works in.
Aslak, I'll try and post some screenshots soon. Currently the i18n doesn't
work (English only for now) - I'd like to get that to work, but haven't yet
if/how I can use the existing cucumber stuff for working out language, as I
start from the java step definitions rather than from a .feature file.
"I start from" does that mean you are triggering a run from a java
step definition file?
If that's the case I would strongly recommend you remove this feature,
as it seems to encourage feature-coupled steps:
https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Feature-Coupled-Steps-(Antipattern)

Step definitions are meant to be reusable across many scenarios in
many feature files. It doesn't make sense to run from a stepdef class.
There
- Are the language annotations generated?
Yes they are:
https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/blob/v1.0.14/java/pom.xml#L55-91
- Can I cross languages, for example can I use step defined as
@cucumber.annotation.fr.Et("...") in an English .feature file following a
Given statement as an And step?
Non tu ne can not :-) The gherkin parser would treat this as a syntax error.
Gherkin has one parser for each i18n language. It uses En by default,
but this can be overridden with a comment in the header of the
.feature file:

# language: fr

If your plugin depends on the gherkin jar you should be able to use
the I18n class at runtime to figure out keywords for various
languages. It's nice to avoid code generation when possible.
- (not quite related, but...) are there any licence restrictions on the
Cucumber images/icons, or can I use them, particularly the cukes.info
favicon?
I don't think I have explicitly licensed the images, but I intend to
license them under creative-commons. Just go ahead and use what you
can find. Maybe one day I'll create a "logos and icons" page where
it's easier to find.

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
James

MrPotes
2012-08-22 10:16:31 UTC
Post by Vladimir Sapozhnik
Post by MrPotes
Post by MrPotes
Hi all,
If anyone is interested, I have started writing a Cucumber JVM plugin
for
Post by MrPotes
Eclipse.
Post by MrPotes
start from the java step definitions rather than from a .feature file.
"I start from" does that mean you are triggering a run from a java
step definition file?
If that's the case I would strongly recommend you remove this feature,
https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Feature-Coupled-Steps-(Antipattern)
Step definitions are meant to be reusable across many scenarios in
many feature files. It doesn't make sense to run from a stepdef class.
Sorry, no - that wasn't what I meant - I'll try again: In order to be able
to do the auto-complete for step definitions, the classpath is scanned for
annotated methods at plugin initialisation, and then resources are
re-scanned if they are saved. The list of steps is then held in memory so
that the classpath doesn't have to be rescanned every time auto-complete is
requested.
Post by Vladimir Sapozhnik
There
Post by MrPotes
Given statement as an And step?
Non tu ne can not :-) The gherkin parser would treat this as a syntax error.
Gherkin has one parser for each i18n language. It uses En by default,
but this can be overridden with a comment in the header of the
# language: fr
If your plugin depends on the gherkin jar you should be able to use
the I18n class at runtime to figure out keywords for various
languages. It's nice to avoid code generation when possible.
Ok, cool - I can make that work.
Post by Vladimir Sapozhnik
Post by MrPotes
- (not quite related, but...) are there any licence restrictions on the
Cucumber images/icons, or can I use them, particularly the cukes.info
favicon?
I don't think I have explicitly licensed the images, but I intend to
license them under creative-commons. Just go ahead and use what you
can find. Maybe one day I'll create a "logos and icons" page where
it's easier to find.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks!
Post by Vladimir Sapozhnik
Post by MrPotes
Cheers,
James
--
-- Rules --
1) Please prefix the subject with [Ruby], [JVM] or [JS].
2) Please use interleaved answers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style
3) If you have a question, don't reply to an existing message. Start a
new
Post by MrPotes
topic instead.
Groups
Post by MrPotes
unsubscribe from this group, send email to
this group at

aslak hellesoy
2012-08-22 12:43:17 UTC
Post by MrPotes
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by MrPotes
[...]
Gotcha. That sounds awesome!

Aslak
Post by MrPotes
There
Post by aslak hellesoy
- (not quite related, but...) are there any licence restrictions on the
Cucumber images/icons, or can I use them, particularly the cukes.info
favicon?
I don't think I have explicitly licensed the images, but I intend to
license them under creative-commons. Just go ahead and use what you
can find. Maybe one day I'll create a "logos and icons" page where
it's easier to find.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks!
Post by aslak hellesoy
Cheers,
James

Matt Pietal
2012-08-21 17:28:03 UTC
Post by MrPotes
Hi all,
If anyone is interested, I have started writing a Cucumber JVM plugin for Eclipse.
- Basic syntax highlighting for .feature files
- Step definition Auto-complete in .feature files
- Right-click Run-As for .feature files
The update site is: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/
Cheers,
James
Perhaps we could join forces: https://github.com/matthewpietal/Eclipse-Plugin-for-Cucumber

I have a few bugs to work out and some code to cleanup but seems we are on the same path.

MrPotes
2012-08-22 10:28:53 UTC
Post by MrPotes
- Basic syntax highlighting for .feature files
- Step definition Auto-complete in .feature files
- Right-click Run-As for .feature files
The update site is: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/
Cheers,
James
https://github.com/matthewpietal/Eclipse-Plugin-for-Cucumber
I have a few bugs to work out and some code to cleanup but seems we are on the same path.
Yes, sounds good. Perhaps Aslak might be willing to provide a repository
within github.com/cucumber? There is also a Gherkin editor (doesn't
integrate with Cucumber JVM steps so far as I can tell) at
https://github.com/ilanpillemer/gherkin-eclipse-plugin (see https://groups.google.com/d/topic/cukes/zcCAbtXS0TI/discussion)
which it might be nice to the editor, as I think it's further along with
syntax highlighting.

If we do so, we probably ought to come up with a shared task list?

Cheers,
James

aslak hellesoy
2012-08-22 12:42:56 UTC
Post by Matt Pietal
Post by MrPotes
Hi all,
If anyone is interested, I have started writing a Cucumber JVM plugin for Eclipse.
- Basic syntax highlighting for .feature files
- Step definition Auto-complete in .feature files
- Right-click Run-As for .feature files
The update site is: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/
Cheers,
James
Perhaps we could join forces: https://github.com/matthewpietal/Eclipse-Plugin-for-Cucumber
I have a few bugs to work out and some code to cleanup but seems we are on the same path.
I'd be happy to move a repo over to github.com/cucumber/eclipse-plugin
when you're ready.
If you want to do this it would be nice if the java packages were
renamed to cucumber.eclipse.*

Just let me know...

Cheers,
Aslak

Jeffrey Cameron
2012-08-29 11:15:24 UTC
I have taken a look at both and I think your plugin is a bit more
functional right now Matt, at least in Juno (4.2) where I'm working.

Any thoughts to writing something that would auto format the tables?

aslak hellesoy
2012-08-29 11:28:23 UTC
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Jeffrey Cameron
I have taken a look at both and I think your plugin is a bit more functional
right now Matt, at least in Juno (4.2) where I'm working.
Any thoughts to writing something that would auto format the tables?
If you implement table formatting, I would recommend doing it so that
numbers are right-adjusted and text is left-adjusted. That makes it
easier to read:

https://gist.github.com/3511091

Aslak

Matt Pietal
2012-08-30 11:34:04 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Cameron
right now Matt, at least in Juno (4.2) where I'm working.
Any thoughts to writing something that would auto format the tables?
If you implement table formatting, I would recommend doing it so that
numbers are right-adjusted and text is left-adjusted. That makes it
https://gist.github.com/3511091
Aslak
I agree that table formatting would be a great addition. I have been using
tables more and more for my tests. And I definitely agree on text
alignment. Let me see what I can do.

Matt
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Jeffrey Cameron
Post by Matt Pietal
Post by MrPotes
Hi all,
If anyone is interested, I have started writing a Cucumber JVM plugin
for Eclipse.
- Basic syntax highlighting for .feature files
- Step definition Auto-complete in .feature files
- Right-click Run-As for .feature files
http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/
Post by Jeffrey Cameron
Post by Matt Pietal
Post by MrPotes
Cheers,
James
https://github.com/matthewpietal/Eclipse-Plugin-for-Cucumber
I have a few bugs to work out and some code to cleanup but seems we are
on
Post by Jeffrey Cameron
Post by Matt Pietal
the same path.
--
-- Rules --
1) Please prefix the subject with [Ruby], [JVM] or [JS].
2) Please use interleaved answers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style
3) If you have a question, don't reply to an existing message. Start a
new
Post by Jeffrey Cameron
topic instead.
Groups

Simple tester
2012-09-14 11:38:44 UTC
Hi James,

This plugin is something we were looking around for !! Great idea, I can't
seem to find the update site.
Could you please help.

Thanks
Simpletester

Luk Lau
2012-09-26 16:34:10 UTC
Is this the update site?

https://github.com/matthewpietal/Eclipse-Plugin-for-Cucumber

I have install the plugin (3.0.0.20120706) on the following Eclipse version:
The syntax highlight is working.
But rule hinting with ctrl+space does not seem to react.
Is there anything I have to config and tell eclipse where the feature files
are located?

thanks a lot

Luc

plugin (3.0.0.20120706)
Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers
Version: Juno Release
Build id: 20120614-1722

Guilherme Meira Lins
2012-09-27 12:37:45 UTC
The same happens to me...

I've installed the plugin and only the syntax highlight is working.

My environment:

Cucumber plugin 3.0.0.201207061105
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857
Is this the update site?

MrPotes
2012-09-27 12:41:46 UTC
Hi Luc, Simpletester, Guilherme,

There are a few different plugins doing the rounds - that's a different one
from the one I'm offering.

Please try:
Homepage: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/
Update site: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/update-site

Cheers.

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:37:45 PM UTC+1, Guilherme Meira Lins
Post by Guilherme Meira Lins
The same happens to me...
I've installed the plugin and only the syntax highlight is working.
Cucumber plugin 3.0.0.201207061105
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857
Is this the update site?

Javix
2012-09-28 08:14:51 UTC
Tried it on Eclipse Juno:

Version: Juno Release
Build id: 20120614-1722

No highlighting for foreign languages, just for English, may be it is in
the future ? :)
No option proposed to create an empty feature (what is the case in Netbeans
Cucumber plugin) from the internal menu, as we ususally do when creating a
new class, package, etc. by hitting CTRL-N.
Post by MrPotes
Hi Luc, Simpletester, Guilherme,
There are a few different plugins doing the rounds - that's a different
one from the one I'm offering.
Homepage: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/
http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/update-site
Cheers.
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:37:45 PM UTC+1, Guilherme Meira Lins
Post by Guilherme Meira Lins
The same happens to me...
I've installed the plugin and only the syntax highlight is working.
Cucumber plugin 3.0.0.201207061105
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857
Is this the update site?

MrPotes
2012-09-28 08:27:29 UTC
Hi Javix,

Yep, foreign language highlighting is on its way - I've got it working, but
am just trying to figure out how to make eclipse re-evaluate the
highlighting when you change the language declared.

I can't say that I had "New feature" high (or indeed existing) on my TODO
list - I just do new file. I'm not convinced it's particularly useful - it
would have to decide on a language for new feature files, and would
actually only save you a few key combinations of typing in doing so. If you
can tell me a bit more about the netbeans feature for doing so, I'll have a
think about adding it at some point.

Cheers,
James
Post by MrPotes
Hi Luc, Simpletester, Guilherme,
There are a few different plugins doing the rounds - that's a different
one from the one I'm offering.
Homepage: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/
http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/update-site
Cheers.
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:37:45 PM UTC+1, Guilherme Meira Lins
Post by Guilherme Meira Lins
The same happens to me...
I've installed the plugin and only the syntax highlight is working.
Cucumber plugin 3.0.0.201207061105
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857
Is this the update site?

Guilherme Meira Lins
2012-10-02 19:19:04 UTC
Hi James,

I tried to install your plugin using your Update Site but I got the
following error on my Eclipse:

Unable to read repository at
http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/update-site/plugins/cukes-jvm-plugin_0.2.0.jar.
Read timed out

Would happen to have the plugin files in an archived file so I can add it
as a local archive in my eclipse?

BR,

Guilherme
Post by MrPotes
Hi Luc, Simpletester, Guilherme,
There are a few different plugins doing the rounds - that's a different
one from the one I'm offering.
Homepage: http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/
http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/update-site
Cheers.
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:37:45 PM UTC+1, Guilherme Meira Lins
Post by Guilherme Meira Lins
The same happens to me...
I've installed the plugin and only the syntax highlight is working.
Cucumber plugin 3.0.0.201207061105
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857
Is this the update site?

James Phillpotts
2012-10-02 19:24:25 UTC
Hi Guilherme,

The update site is just a github pages view of the gh-pages branch of the
repository. You can download them direct from the github ui if your having
problems with your eclipse.

Alternatively you should be able to retry - to have got as far as
downloading the jar file you quote, eclipse must have already downloaded
one XML file and the (eclipse) feature jar file.

Cheers
James
.
Homepage: http://mrpotes.**github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-**plugin/<http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/>
Update site: http://mrpotes.github.**com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/**
update-site<http://mrpotes.github.com/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/update-site>
Cheers.
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:37:45 PM UTC+1, Guilherme Meira Lins
Post by Guilherme Meira Lins
The same happens to me...
I've installed the plugin and only the syntax highlight is working.
Cucumber plugin 3.0.0.201207061105
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857
Post by Luk Lau
Is this the update site?
https://github.com/**matthewpietal/Eclipse-Plugin-**for-Cucumber<https://github.com/matthewpietal/Eclipse-Plugin-for-Cucumber>

p***@public.gmane.org
2013-03-25 12:29:15 UTC
Hi

I have installed cucumber eclipse plugin in eclipse and trying to test
Could you please help with steps to create a feature file in eclipse and
test this

Thanks

MrPotes
2013-03-26 09:24:48 UTC
Hi,

If it's my plugin (from the original post of this thread) you've installed,
to create a new feature file, just do a standard new file, specifying
xyz.feature as the file name. Once you've written your scenarios and steps
you can run the feature file by right clicking on either the editor or the
file listing in a navigator/explorer view and selecting Run As... ->
Cucumber Test.

Cheers,
James

MrPotes
2012-09-28 21:34:42 UTC
A new version, 0.2.0, of the plugin is now available. This includes
multi-lingual syntax highlighting. This requires editor close/reopen if the
language is changed, unfortunately. Hopefully that bug will be ironed out
soon (https://github.com/mrpotes/cukes-jvm-eclipse-plugin/issues/9).

Javix