[Cucumber] [Cucumber-JVM] Exceptions (and stacktraces) are always printed after test statistics
IRQ
2018-03-29 10:11:41 UTC
Dear Cucumber-Community,

whenever I execute a failing Cucumber feature/scenario with the CLI tool
(Java), all exceptions that occured during the test run are always printed
in succession after the test statistics. This output unnecessarily clutters
the entire test output and does not seem to provide any added value. It
also happens regardless of the plugin I choose (e.g. pretty, progress, html
etc.). FYI, I am using cucumber-java 2.3.1.

Is this expected behaviour? If so, can I somehow prevent the superfluous
output at the end of every feature run? Or is it at least possible to
redirect those exceptions and their stacktraces to a dedicated log file?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Björn Rasmusson
2018-03-29 19:31:32 UTC
Post by IRQ
Dear Cucumber-Community,
whenever I execute a failing Cucumber feature/scenario with the CLI tool
(Java), all exceptions that occured during the test run are always printed
in succession after the test statistics. This output unnecessarily clutters
the entire test output and does not seem to provide any added value. It
also happens regardless of the plugin I choose (e.g. pretty, progress, html
etc.). FYI, I am using cucumber-java 2.3.1.
Is this expected behaviour? If so, can I somehow prevent the superfluous
output at the end of every feature run? Or is it at least possible to
redirect those exceptions and their stacktraces to a dedicated log file?
The formatter type plugins are not responsible for printing the summary
(including snippets and exception stacktraces), it is the responsibility of
the summary printer type plugins.
You can either use the built in null summary plugin (-p null_summary), or
write your own summary plugin (which implements the SummaryPrinter interface
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/blob/master/core/src/main/java/cucumber/api/SummaryPrinter.java>
).

Cheers
Björn