[Cucumber] State of cucumber-jvm
MP Korstanje
2017-05-12 23:40:34 UTC
Hey folks,

looking at the state of cucumber-jvm I'm somewhat worried. There has been
no meaningful activity since September last year. From
cucumber/cucumber-jvm#1035
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/pull/1035> I gather that Aslak
HellesÞy is the only one who can accept PRs and build releases but he has
not done so for a while. He appears to be active on Twitter and somewhat on
Github but not in cucumber-jvm.

Does anybody know what the hold up is?

I'm working on improving the integration between maven-surefire,
cucumber-jvm, and cucumber-jvm-parallel plugin a bit. To this end I'd like
to see /cucumber/cucumber-jvm#1121
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/pull/1121> merged and released.
Personally I'd rather see it released sooner then later so I can be done
with it in a timely fashion.

Best,
Rien
Björn Rasmusson
2017-05-13 12:41:20 UTC
Post by MP Korstanje
Hey folks,
looking at the state of cucumber-jvm I'm somewhat worried. There has been
no meaningful activity since September last year. From
cucumber/cucumber-jvm#1035
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/pull/1035> I gather that Aslak
HellesÞy is the only one who can accept PRs and build releases but he has
not done so for a while. He appears to be active on Twitter and somewhat on
Github but not in cucumber-jvm.
Does anybody know what the hold up is?
I'm working on improving the integration between maven-surefire,
cucumber-jvm, and cucumber-jvm-parallel plugin a bit. To this end I'd like
to see /cucumber/cucumber-jvm#1121
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/pull/1121> merged and released.
Personally I'd rather see it released sooner then later so I can be done
with it in a timely fashion.
Hi,
It is true that Aslak HellesÞy is the only one who can build releases of
Cucumber-JVM.

I can (and I have) merge PR:s, but I not very keen on merging a major
change like cucumber/cucumber-jvm#1035
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/pull/1035> with no review at all
(and since I made the change, I cannot review it).

Disclamer: the following is my own personal opinions, not an official
position of the Cucumber Open Source projects or the Cucumber-JVM Open
Source project.

Aslak HellesÞy is very busy, including with work within the Cucumber Open
Source project even though lately not so much with Cucumber-JVM.

Because of that, I believe that doing another release in the Cucumber-JVM
v1.x-track is not the way to go. It would just result in delaying the
release of Cucumber-JVM v2.0.0 (which includes upgrading from Gherkin
2.12.2, which for instance Cucumber-Ruby did two years ago), and create
unnecessary rework when the changes after Cucumber-JVM v1.2.5 have to be
reimplemented on top of cucumber/cucumber-jvm#1035
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/pull/1035>.

I would like the events to unfold like this:

* merge cucumber/cucumber-jvm#1035
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/pull/1035>, which creates the
snapshot release Cucumber-JVM v2.0.0-SNAPSHOT (I *can* merge it, but again
merging a major change with not review what so ever makes me uncomfortable)

* merge a small set of other PR:s

* release Cucumber-JVM v2.0.0

The last step requires Aslak HellesÞy involvement, for the other ones his
involvement is not mandatory, but is very welcome. I would however want him
to agree on this plan, before it is executed.

Cheers,

Björn
Post by MP Korstanje
Best,
Rien
MP Korstanje
2017-05-13 16:20:04 UTC
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by MP Korstanje
[...]
Bjorn this is understandable and I agree with your vision of the ideal
order of events. While I probably lack the expertise to review your whole
PR, I feel that I've come to understand a significant part of cucumber-jvm.
So I can offer to review a significant part of your PR.

I'll also ask @teymyers <https://github.com/temyers> and @damianszczepanik
<https://github.com/damianszczepanik> and see if they want to help.
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by MP Korstanje
Best,
Rien
Aslak Hellesøy
2017-05-13 13:50:25 UTC
Post by MP Korstanje
Hey folks,
Hi!
Post by MP Korstanje
looking at the state of cucumber-jvm I'm somewhat worried. There has been
no meaningful activity since September last year. From
cucumber/cucumber-jvm#1035
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/pull/1035> I gather that Aslak
HellesÞy is the only one who can accept PRs and build releases but he has
not done so for a while. He appears to be active on Twitter and somewhat on
Github but not in cucumber-jvm.
Thanks for noticing!
Post by MP Korstanje
Does anybody know what the hold up is?
I used to work on Cucumber in my spare time. I don't have spare time
anymore, so that's one hold-up.
The other hold-up is lack of funding to be able to work on it during work
hours.

3-4 years ago I co-founded Cucumber Ltd to do just that - fund open source
work from other revenue-generating activities:
https://cucumber.io/blog/2014/04/16/cucumber-limited

Our company is becoming financially stronger every year, but we haven't yet
reached a point where we can justify spending significant time working on
open source. Open source development doesn't generate revenue. Well, it
kind of does, indirectly by generating more demand for commercial services,
but that loop is too long.

Björn Rasmusson and others have been contributing great pull requests which
I am grateful for, and I feel bad for being a bottleneck. I'm sure Björn
would have done a tremendous job if I handed over the stewardship of
Cucumber-JVM to him, but he's also got a day job. And because Cucumber is
our company's most important asset, I kind of have to stay in control over
it.

What the Cucumber open source project needs is proper funding. There is an
estimated 1M or so corporate users of it around the world, I'm sure half of
fortune 500 companies use it.

It should be possible to raise enough money from our community that we can
pay a few developers to work full time on Cucumber, and by that I mean
Cucumber-Ruby, Cucumber.js, Cucumber-JVM, Gherkin, Cucumber-Expressions,
Tag Expressions, Cucumber Event Protocol, Cucumber GUI, Cucumber Parallel,
and DOCUMENTATION.

It would be ideal to have a mix of paid developers from Cucumber Ltd and
other companies and/or independents. The ideal situation would be me funded
to work 2 days a week and one or two others to work full time. Cucumber Ltd
can foot some of the bill, but we're a small company and we'd need
considerable help to make this happen.

In the next few weeks I'll make it a priority to put together a crowd
funding campaign. I'm more interested in recurring funding rather than a
one-off chunk of money. Cucumber, like any project needs continuous
attention. We'd be 100% transparent about how the money is spent.

This will be the first time I'm running a crowdfunding campaign, so I'll
take all the advice I can get, about what to put in the campaign, where to
run it etc.

I'm excited about this!

Aslak
--
The Cucumber logo is the intellectual property of Cucumber Ltd, a limited
company registered in Scotland, number 456793.

UK Headquarters: Cucumber Ltd, Drumsyniebeg, Lochgoilhead, Cairndow,
Argyll, PA24 8AN UK.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this e-mail is confidential and
privileged; it is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named
as the recipient hereof. Disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the
contents of this e-mail by persons other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited and may violate applicable laws. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please delete the original message and notify us by
email immediately. Thank you. Cucumber Ltd.
MP Korstanje
2017-05-13 16:44:53 UTC
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Post by MP Korstanje
Hey folks,
Hi!
Post by MP Korstanje
I'm working on improving the integration between maven-surefire,
cucumber-jvm, and cucumber-jvm-parallel plugin a bit. To this end I'd like
to see /cucumber/cucumber-jvm#1121
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber-jvm/pull/1121> merged and
released. Personally I'd rather see it released sooner then later so I can
be done with it in a timely fashion.
Best,
Rien
Asiak,

I now understand your predicament. Thanks for taking the time to explain
it.

Unfortunately I'm doing this to scratch my own itches independently. But I
will point out the fact that open source software needs proper funding to
work to my employers. They are unfortunately not fortune 500 companies but
I'll definitely mention your plight.

Definitely looking forward to the campaign!
Mark Levison
2017-05-14 18:39:08 UTC
Aslak - you might ping the JUnit 5 gang to see what worked well for them.
Like others I'm entirely an independent, in my case Cucumber isn't even
part of my personal work (Consulting, Executive Coaching and Scrum
Training), yet I will happily sponsor some work on the tool so that it
exists for all of my clients.

Cheers
Mark
Post by Aslak Hellesøy