[Cucumber] Cucumber + RESTAssured
2018-07-21 15:00:50 UTC
thought below
Don't try and specify XML and JSON in your feature files. Instead
abstract what each file or piece of data represents and talk about that
instead. Only when you are in step definitions or additional helper
methods/classes should you actually deal with details like files, XML and
JSON.
I understand precisely what you are saying Andrew and have one possible
variant. Yes, abstract to the level of the reader and go for expressiveness
in the abstraction. However, in the case of an API, the customer of the
living specification is a programmer. I believe I would shoot for small,
relevant, snippets of the XML or json in natural language. Or, at least,
experiment with that and publish your cukes as API documentation.
Hey Tim, sorry about the late reply. Any programmer will be able to drill
down from your scenarios to their implementation and see whats going on.
But without the abstract expression you won't have the WHAT and WHY, i.e.
what are you trying to do and why is it important. You'll only have the
HOW. This is why I use Cucumber even on solo projects with no
collaboration. It gives me a place to express the WHAT and WHY in my code
base in a useful manner.

All best

Andrew
All best
Andrew
Dear Member,
We have implemented the Automation Testing framework for testing the
REST API (exposed by our module) using Cucumber + RESTAssured.
We are however facing a dilemma in designing our Test Strategy. We need
the ability to
1. Upload variable length XML files
2. Send variable length JSON data in the body of REST requests.
We have already achieved this using REST Assured but are finding it a
challenge to design our Gherkin interface to be flexible enough to take
different XMLs files and JSON data as input in English language.
Looking forward to your expert opinion on how do design the Gherkin
commands to be capable of receiving variable XML and JSON data and pass
them to the REST Assured framework (for testing the REST API).
Regards,
Dhiraj.