[Cucumber] cucumber-cpp without wire
Ragnar Hammarqvist
2016-12-09 07:27:48 UTC
Is it possible to run cucumber-cpp without the wire protocol. If not is
there any plans to implement that in cucumber-cpp?
Paolo Ambrosio
2016-12-12 08:30:05 UTC
On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:27 AM, Ragnar Hammarqvist
Post by Ragnar Hammarqvist
Is it possible to run cucumber-cpp without the wire protocol. If not is
there any plans to implement that in cucumber-cpp?
## Short answer

It is not possible at the moment, and there are no short-term plans to
introduce it.

Is there a specific reason why you are asking it? Or is it just
because of the annoyance of installing Cucumber-Ruby on the side?

## Long answer

It has always been in my wish list as author and maintainer of the
project. Initially it was quite hard to write a Gherkin 2 parser, so
it wasn't worth the effort. Earlier this year I started working on a
Gherkin 3 parser in C++, but got side-tracked with other projects.

Currently my top priority for Cucumber-CPP is dynamic loading of glue
code. Imagine if you only had to compile step definitions (e.g.
libsteps1.so) instead of the whole Cucumber-CPP project, and you could
run it as "cucumber-cpp -g libsteps1.so --io wire".

It would allow a clean separation between step definitions and core,
removing dependency at compile time from any library except the chosen
testing framework. This would also allow us to target C++11 or later
for the core classes.

If my vision comes together, it would be much easier and clean to
implement extensions (e.g. input source or output formatter) using
predefined extension points. The Gherkin parser could simply be one of
those input sources (the default to be precise).
Shareef Chachu
2017-07-12 09:17:15 UTC
Hi, I am new to Cucumber. I have downloaded the Cucumber-cpp from github
but I stuck. Because I tried loading one of the examples provided (Calc).
However, I added Boost libraries, Cucumber, Gtest and also installed Ruby.
But as here, I don't know how to do the wiring. Can you help me by telling
how to do this wiring setup (i am using visual studio 2017)? Optional: Can
you tell me step by steps to do the running of the example calc from the
scratch?