[Cucumber] Why isn't there an "official" version of Cucumber in Python?
richard.prosser via Cukes
2018-03-01 15:39:40 UTC
I am a great fan of Python and I am using it for Test Automation purposes
but I don't understand why there isn't a Cucumber package listed like there
is for Ruby etc.

I know that there are offerings like Lettuce or Behave but those do not
seem to be quite the same, which may result in confusion. There is a
Capybara post from Ruby but that does not seem to be well-maintained.

I have searched this group and I realise that this question has been asked
before but nobody seems to have provided a definitive answer yet.

So can anyone explain please why Python isn't on the list yet? Is it simply
a matter of somebody doing the job?

Thanks ...

Richard
2018-03-02 07:50:09 UTC
See inline

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 3:39 PM, richard.prosser via Cukes <
Post by richard.prosser via Cukes
I am a great fan of Python and I am using it for Test Automation purposes
but I don't understand why there isn't a Cucumber package listed like there
is for Ruby etc.
The Cucumber team behaves recommends Behave.
Post by richard.prosser via Cukes
I know that there are offerings like Lettuce or Behave but those do not
seem to be quite the same, which may result in confusion. There is a
Capybara post from Ruby but that does not seem to be well-maintained.
Are there particular features that aren't behaving the same? Jens who leads
the Behave team is usually very open to pull requests and suggestions.
Post by richard.prosser via Cukes
I have searched this group and I realise that this question has been asked
before but nobody seems to have provided a definitive answer yet.
So can anyone explain please why Python isn't on the list yet? Is it
simply a matter of somebody doing the job?
Yes, it's "simply" the matter of someone doing the job (probably without
getting paid).

Aslak
jenisys
2018-03-03 08:48:23 UTC
Hi Richard,

I am Jens, the maintainer of Behave <https://github.com/behave/behave>.
I am working together with the Cucumber team on new ideas to improve
Cucumber and Behave.

Aslak has already answered most of the questions.
He and the Cucumber team members will welcome you, if you want to
provide/work on a Python implementation of Cucumber.
Cucumber follows a modular approach since at least 2 years (I think).
This means parts of a Cucumber implementation can more easily be ported to
different programming languages.
For example, a Gherkin parser for Python is already provided by the
Cucumber team.

Therefore, if you want to contribute in a python implementation for
Cucumber, get involved !!!

Otherwise, use one of the existing Python implementations:

* behave <https://github.com/behave/behave> (naturally ;-))
* radish-bdd
* lettuce
* pytest-bdd
* ...

Let me know, if anything is missing for you (in behave).

Cheers.
Jens