[Cucumber] Use two different formatters at once
Add Reply
Andrey Tolpeev
2015-04-01 04:44:08 UTC
Hello, guys!

Is it possible to use use two different formatters at once? Cause i see
that's not possible. How can i achieve this?

Thanks!
2015-04-01 04:49:13 UTC
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Is it possible to use use two different formatters at once? Cause i see
that's not possible. How can i achieve this?
You didn't mention what platform, so I assume Ruby. Yes, you can use as
many formatters as you like. For example:

cucumber --format pretty --format json --out cucumber.json --format rerun
--out rerun.txt

See `cucumber --help` for more.

You said you can see it's not possible. Where did you see this? How can we
improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you had?

Aslak
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Thanks!
Andrey Tolpeev
2015-04-03 07:50:07 UTC
Hello, thanks for the fast reply.

Sorry for don't mention environment, I use ruby.

I tried to use cucumber with two custom formatter at once:

cucumber -f AllureCucumber::Formatter -f TeamCityFormatter

And cucumber ran only with first one, the second one is not used. If is
there any difference to run cucumber with custom formatters instead of
default ones?

Thanks!
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Is it possible to use use two different formatters at once? Cause i see
that's not possible. How can i achieve this?
You didn't mention what platform, so I assume Ruby. Yes, you can use as
cucumber --format pretty --format json --out cucumber.json --format
rerun --out rerun.txt
See `cucumber --help` for more.
You said you can see it's not possible. Where did you see this? How can we
improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you had?
Aslak
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Thanks!
Aslak Hellesøy
2015-04-03 09:50:09 UTC
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hello, thanks for the fast reply.
Sorry for don't mention environment, I use ruby.
cucumber -f AllureCucumber::Formatter -f TeamCityFormatter
And cucumber ran only with first one, the second one is not used.
What makes you think the second is not used?

What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?

What's your Cucumber version?

TeamCityFormatter version?
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
If is there any difference to run cucumber with custom formatters instead of default ones?
No
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Thanks!
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Is it possible to use use two different formatters at once? Cause i see that's not possible. How can i achieve this?
cucumber --format pretty --format json --out cucumber.json --format rerun --out rerun.txt
See `cucumber --help` for more.
You said you can see it's not possible. Where did you see this? How can we improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you had?
Aslak
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Thanks!
Andrey Tolpeev
2015-04-03 10:18:59 UTC
More info about formatters i use:

- https://github.com/ankurcha/cucumber_teamcity
- https://github.com/allure-framework/allure-cucumber
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
Because i don't see TeamCityFormatter output.

What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?

I see teamcity formatter output.

This happens vice versa. If i put formatters like this -f TeamCityFormatter
-f AllureCucumber::Formatter, the first one will work, the second not.

What's your Cucumber version?

1.3.19

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
2015-04-03 14:33:39 UTC
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
Because i don't see TeamCityFormatter output.
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
I see teamcity formatter output.
This happens vice versa. If i put formatters like this -f
TeamCityFormatter -f AllureCucumber::Formatter, the first one will work,
the second not.
This is the first time I've heard about this issue. Lots of people use
multiple formatters without any problems.

Can you try two other formatters such as pretty and json? That works for
you right?
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
What's your Cucumber version?
1.3.19
Can you try 2.0.0?
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hope this helps.
Thanks!
Steve Tooke
2015-04-03 14:49:56 UTC
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
Because i don't see TeamCityFormatter output.
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
I see teamcity formatter output.
This happens vice versa. If i put formatters like this -f
TeamCityFormatter -f AllureCucumber::Formatter, the first one will work,
the second not.
This is the first time I've heard about this issue. Lots of people use
multiple formatters without any problems.
Can you try two other formatters such as pretty and json? That works for
you right?
I have a feeling you can only use one formatter that is outputting to
STDOUT... Usual way to use json and pretty would be

-f pretty -f json --out some/file/path

I don't think you can do

-f pretty -f progress

For example and see both output.

Steve
--
E: ***@boxjump.co.uk
T: +44 7919 337 463
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
What's your Cucumber version?
1.3.19
Can you try 2.0.0?
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hope this helps.
Thanks!
2015-04-03 14:59:55 UTC
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
the second not.
This is the first time I've heard about this issue. Lots of people use
multiple formatters without any problems.
Can you try two other formatters such as pretty and json? That works for
you right?
I have a feeling you can only use one formatter that is outputting to
STDOUT... Usual way to use json and pretty would be
-f pretty -f json --out some/file/path
I don't think you can do
-f pretty -f progress
For example and see both output.
Shouldn't Cucumber fail with an error then? Andrey hasn't mentioned
anything about errors.
Post by Steve Tooke
Steve
--
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
What's your Cucumber version?
1.3.19
Can you try 2.0.0?
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hope this helps.
Thanks!
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Hello, thanks for the fast reply.
Sorry for don't mention environment, I use ruby.
cucumber -f AllureCucumber::Formatter -f TeamCityFormatter
And cucumber ran only with first one, the second one is not used.
What makes you think the second is not used?
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
What's your Cucumber version?
TeamCityFormatter version?
If is there any difference to run cucumber with custom formatters
instead
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
of default ones?
No
Thanks!
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 11:49:38 AM UTC+7, Aslak HellesÞy
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
we improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you had?
Aslak
Thanks!
Groups
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Groups
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Steve Tooke
2015-04-03 15:51:09 UTC
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
the second not.
This is the first time I've heard about this issue. Lots of people use
multiple formatters without any problems.
Can you try two other formatters such as pretty and json? That works for
you right?
I have a feeling you can only use one formatter that is outputting to
STDOUT... Usual way to use json and pretty would be
-f pretty -f json --out some/file/path
I don't think you can do
-f pretty -f progress
For example and see both output.
Shouldn't Cucumber fail with an error then? Andrey hasn't mentioned
anything about errors.
Yes it probably should. I noticed it the other day, but haven't
investigated at all.
--
E: ***@boxjump.co.uk
T: +44 7919 337 463
http://tooky.co.uk | http://kickstartacademy.io |
https://twitter.com/tooky
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Steve
--
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
What's your Cucumber version?
1.3.19
Can you try 2.0.0?
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hope this helps.
Thanks!
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Hello, thanks for the fast reply.
Sorry for don't mention environment, I use ruby.
cucumber -f AllureCucumber::Formatter -f TeamCityFormatter
And cucumber ran only with first one, the second one is not used.
What makes you think the second is not used?
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
What's your Cucumber version?
TeamCityFormatter version?
If is there any difference to run cucumber with custom formatters
instead
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
of default ones?
No
Thanks!
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 11:49:38 AM UTC+7, Aslak Hellesøy
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
we improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you had?
Aslak
Thanks!
Groups
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Groups
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Björn Rasmusson
2015-04-03 17:11:48 UTC
<javascript:>
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by aslak hellesoy
you right?
I have a feeling you can only use one formatter that is outputting to
STDOUT... Usual way to use json and pretty would be
-f pretty -f json --out some/file/path
I don't think you can do
-f pretty -f progress
For example and see both output.
Shouldn't Cucumber fail with an error then? Andrey hasn't mentioned
anything about errors.
Yes it probably should. I noticed it the other day, but haven't
investigated at all.
I just checked, neither Cucumber v2.0 nor v1.3.x fails when using "-f
pretty -f progress", but only the output from the formatter mentioned first
is sent to stdout.
And using "--out path/file" to send the output from any of them to a file
works as expected.

Regards
Björn
--
T: +44 7919 337 463
http://tooky.co.uk | http://kickstartacademy.io |
https://twitter.com/tooky
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Steve
--
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
What's your Cucumber version?
1.3.19
Can you try 2.0.0?
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hope this helps.
Thanks!
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
of default ones?
No
Thanks!
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 11:49:38 AM UTC+7, Aslak HellesÞy
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Andrey Tolpeev <
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Is it possible to use use two different formatters at once? Cause
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
see
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
that's not possible. How can i achieve this?
You didn't mention what platform, so I assume Ruby. Yes, you can
use
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
as
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
rerun --out rerun.txt
See `cucumber --help` for more.
You said you can see it's not possible. Where did you see this?
How
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
can
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
we improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you had?
Aslak
Thanks!
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
send
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Groups
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by aslak hellesoy
"Cukes" group.
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by aslak hellesoy
an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
Björn Rasmusson
2015-04-03 19:09:18 UTC
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
Because i don't see TeamCityFormatter output.
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
I see teamcity formatter output.
This happens vice versa. If i put formatters like this -f
TeamCityFormatter -f AllureCucumber::Formatter, the first one
will
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
work,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
you right?
I have a feeling you can only use one formatter that is outputting to
STDOUT... Usual way to use json and pretty would be
-f pretty -f json --out some/file/path
I don't think you can do
-f pretty -f progress
For example and see both output.
Shouldn't Cucumber fail with an error then? Andrey hasn't mentioned
anything about errors.
Yes it probably should. I noticed it the other day, but haven't
investigated at all.
I just checked, neither Cucumber v2.0 nor v1.3.x fails when using "-f
pretty -f progress", but only the output from the formatter mentioned first
is sent to stdout.
And using "--out path/file" to send the output from any of them to a file
works as expected.
Actually there is a check for multiple formatter using stdout in Cucumber,
but somehow it does not work when using profiles, see failing test in #826
<https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/pull/826>.
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Regards
Björn
Post by aslak hellesoy
--
T: +44 7919 337 463
http://tooky.co.uk | http://kickstartacademy.io |
https://twitter.com/tooky
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Steve
--
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
What's your Cucumber version?
TeamCityFormatter version?
If is there any difference to run cucumber with custom
formatters
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
instead
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
of default ones?
No
Thanks!
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 11:49:38 AM UTC+7, Aslak HellesÞy
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Andrey Tolpeev <
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Is it possible to use use two different formatters at once?
Cause i
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
see
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
that's not possible. How can i achieve this?
You didn't mention what platform, so I assume Ruby. Yes, you can
use
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
as
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
rerun --out rerun.txt
See `cucumber --help` for more.
You said you can see it's not possible. Where did you see this?
How
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
can
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
we improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you
had?
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Aslak
Thanks!
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
it,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
it,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
"Cukes" group.
send
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
2015-04-03 19:12:58 UTC
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
Because i don't see TeamCityFormatter output.
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
I see teamcity formatter output.
This happens vice versa. If i put formatters like this -f
TeamCityFormatter -f AllureCucumber::Formatter, the first one
will
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
work,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
[...]
The assumption that all formatters write to a stream seems wrong to me.
What if you had two formatters that wrote to a database. Should we force
one of them to specify a bogus stream?
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Regards
Björn
Post by aslak hellesoy
--
T: +44 7919 337 463
http://tooky.co.uk | http://kickstartacademy.io |
https://twitter.com/tooky
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Steve
--
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
What's your Cucumber version?
TeamCityFormatter version?
If is there any difference to run cucumber with custom
formatters
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
instead
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Andrey Tolpeev <
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Is it possible to use use two different formatters at once?
Cause i
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
see
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
that's not possible. How can i achieve this?
You didn't mention what platform, so I assume Ruby. Yes, you
can use
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
as
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
rerun --out rerun.txt
See `cucumber --help` for more.
You said you can see it's not possible. Where did you see this?
How
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
can
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
we improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you
had?
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Aslak
Thanks!
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
it,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
it,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
"Cukes" group.
it, send
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
Steve Tooke
2015-04-03 21:00:47 UTC
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
Because i don't see TeamCityFormatter output.
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
I see teamcity formatter output.
This happens vice versa. If i put formatters like this -f
TeamCityFormatter -f AllureCucumber::Formatter, the first one
will
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
work,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
[...]
Thanks for looking into that Bjorn!
Post by aslak hellesoy
The assumption that all formatters write to a stream seems wrong to me.
What if you had two formatters that wrote to a database. Should we force
one of them to specify a bogus stream?
That was exactly the problem I came across. I'd written a toy formatter
for a flashing LED that didn't need an output stream, and I had to
specify /dev/null as its output to use it with the progress formatter.

One of our targets for the next version of cucumber is going to be to
improve the config options, and formatters will be part of that.

I was thinking it might be possible to make formatters composable? So
the pretty formatter might include a summary formatter and a snippets
formatter.

Steve
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Regards
Björn
Post by aslak hellesoy
--
T: +44 7919 337 463
http://tooky.co.uk | http://kickstartacademy.io |
https://twitter.com/tooky
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Steve
--
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
What's your Cucumber version?
1.3.19
Can you try 2.0.0?
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hope this helps.
Thanks!
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
What's your Cucumber version?
TeamCityFormatter version?
If is there any difference to run cucumber with custom
formatters
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
instead
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Andrey Tolpeev <
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Is it possible to use use two different formatters at once?
Cause i
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
see
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
that's not possible. How can i achieve this?
You didn't mention what platform, so I assume Ruby. Yes, you
can use
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
as
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
rerun --out rerun.txt
See `cucumber --help` for more.
You said you can see it's not possible. Where did you see this?
How
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
can
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
we improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you
had?
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Aslak
Thanks!
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
it,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
it,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
"Cukes" group.
it, send
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
Aslak Hellesøy
2015-04-03 21:19:06 UTC
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
Because i don't see TeamCityFormatter output.
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
I see teamcity formatter output.
This happens vice versa. If i put formatters like this -f
TeamCityFormatter -f AllureCucumber::Formatter, the first one
will
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
work,
Post by aslak hellesoy
The assumption that all formatters write to a stream seems wrong to me.
What if you had two formatters that wrote to a database. Should we force
one of them to specify a bogus stream?
That was exactly the problem I came across. I'd written a toy formatter
for a flashing LED that didn't need an output stream, and I had to
specify /dev/null as its output to use it with the progress formatter.
One of our targets for the next version of cucumber is going to be to
improve the config options, and formatters will be part of that.
I was thinking it might be possible to make formatters composable? So
the pretty formatter might include a summary formatter and a snippets
formatter.
This kind of architectural decision (and many more) has to be made by all implementors of dufferent cucumber implementations.

I think it's time to come up with a high level architecture for cucumber that all implementations can follow. It sucks, but if we don't I think it will be hard to move things forward in a consistent manner.

Aslak
Post by Steve Tooke
Steve
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Post by Björn Rasmusson
Regards
Björn
Post by aslak hellesoy
--
T: +44 7919 337 463
http://tooky.co.uk | http://kickstartacademy.io |
https://twitter.com/tooky
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Steve
--
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
What makes you think the second is not used?
What happens if you only run with TeamCityFormatter?
What's your Cucumber version?
TeamCityFormatter version?
If is there any difference to run cucumber with custom
formatters
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
instead
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Andrey Tolpeev <
Hello, guys!
Hi!
Is it possible to use use two different formatters at once?
Cause i
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
see
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
that's not possible. How can i achieve this?
You didn't mention what platform, so I assume Ruby. Yes, you
can use
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
as
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
rerun --out rerun.txt
See `cucumber --help` for more.
You said you can see it's not possible. Where did you see this?
How
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
can
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
we improve docs or error messages to avoid the confusion you
had?
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Aslak
Thanks!
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
it,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
"Cukes" group.
it,
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Post by Aslak Hellesøy
Google
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
Groups
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
"Cukes" group.
it, send
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
send an
Post by aslak hellesoy
Post by Steve Tooke
an
Andrey Tolpeev
2015-04-06 04:25:09 UTC
Hello, guys!

Big thanks you for support.

For info, forgot to mention in earlier replies that i use profiles.

I tried the solution to make one of formatters log output to a file through
- o parameter.

-f TeamCityFormatter -f AllureCucumber::Formatter --out allure_output.log

It works, but now i see two formatters log their output in STDOUT. I
expected that AllureCucumber::Formatter will log STDOUT in the file i
specified. Does it work as expected?

Thanks!
<javascript:>>
Björn Rasmusson
2015-04-06 08:58:40 UTC
Post by Andrey Tolpeev
Hello, guys!
Big thanks you for support.
For info, forgot to mention in earlier replies that i use profiles.
I tried the solution to make one of formatters log output to a file
through - o parameter.
-f TeamCityFormatter -f AllureCucumber::Formatter --out allure_output.log
It works, but now i see two formatters log their output in STDOUT. I
expected that AllureCucumber::Formatter will log STDOUT in the file i
specified. Does it work as expected?
Cucumber expects formatters to take into account the io argument it passes
to the formatters (which is STDOUT of is based on the --out option). From a
quick look at the source code of AllureCucumber::Formatter, I see that it
both creates xml files in a directory controlled by the Allure
configuration, and that it logs what it is doing to STDOUT (using puts).
The second part is not what Cucumber expect, it expects the log to be
written to allure_output.log in the example above. That the
AllureCucumber::Formatter always logs to STDOUT, is a deficiency of that
formatter.

Best Regards
Björn
Thanks!
80Vikram
2017-12-01 16:05:09 UTC
Hi All,

I'm doing api automation using Cucumber + rest-assured with Java, can I use
allure framework for it ?

Or any other better html reporting framework suggestion ?

Thanks,
Vikram