[Cucumber] Executable specifications are the holy grail for iterative delivery of siftware
Tim Walker
2018-03-23 12:58:36 UTC
Dudes and dudettes,

It was before the agile manifesto and after 20 years of software
engineering that my friend uttered the words I used for the subject of this
text. Now, 20 years later, I am more convinced than ever.

Initially it was FIT and FitNesse. And then JBehave and RBehave, Story
Runner, Rspec and Now Cucumber and a host of other tools supporting Gherkin.

Often misunderstood as a testing framework or something we use solely as
developers (BDD) we struggle to communicate to others what it is and the
incredible power it brings to our Agile initiatives.

It was 2008 that I met Gojko Adzic in Toronto. Gojko, with his brilliant
Bridging the Communication Gap, and Specification by Example, had been
writing about FIT for .Net and encountering these challenges.

It was later that I worked with Matt Wynne (The Cucumber Book and core
contributor) to establish a RelishApp server at a very large federal
government to publish our cukes as the true single source of truth in
living documentation backed by test automation.

I have used BDD and key related practices (Domain Driven, User Story
Mapping) to establish infrastructure in the cloud, to verify massively
distributed devices on our electric grid, and verifying image satellite
systems.

I see colleagues like Lynn Winterbore taking this to and revolutionizing
Big Data.

Executable Requirements are the holy grail of iterative development. You
can try traditional requirements approaches and QA practices for Agile if
you want. Let me know how it works out for you.
Tim Walker
2018-03-23 13:13:41 UTC
I just pressed send on this and began reading the chapter "False Quality
Gates" in the book "Adrenaline Junkies and Template Zombies". Amazing and
direct corollary to the spirit of this thread. Take a look.

Koen Prins
80Vikram
2018-03-26 10:15:34 UTC
Thanks for this email and books recommendation.

I still wonder why BDD is not so popular in IT industry. People simply
don't want to follow.

For it's like "I know it's good to brush teeth before going to bed, but I'm
too lazy to do that".

Majority of engineers + managers simply love doing "You Burn, I Scrape"

Regards,
Vikram